Within hours after disaster strikes, water damage and bacteria growth can begin. Increase your chances of a complete recovery by calling ServiceMaster of Utica in Utica, New York as soon as possible.
To help ensure a successful restoration, there are a few things you can do while you wait.
What to do:
- Call ServiceMaster of Utica immediately.
- Remove as much water as possible yourself, by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or removable floor coverings. Do not attempt to remove wall-to-wall carpeting yourself.
- Be sure no draperies are touching the floor. Loop over curtain rod using a coat hangar or whatever is available.
- Wipe off furniture, prop up furniture cushions and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings, etc. to a safe, dry location if possible.
- Do not remove books from shelves. But, be sure they are packed tightly together to prevent warping until a restoration professional can use their specialized method of drying.
- Open drawers, closets and cabinet doors to help enhance drying.
What not to do:
- Do not enter a room with standing water in it until all electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not attempt to lift tacked down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances when carpet or flooring is still wet.
- Do not touch or disturb any visible mold.
©2011 ServiceMaster of Utica. All Rights Reserved
An Independent business licensed to serve you by ServiceMaster Clean®
Serving the Utica, New York area including Oneida, Herkimer and Fulton Counties.